Welcome to The Directive. This is a regular assortment of father related news stories, information, and fun stuff. If you have anything you would like posted here, please send it our way.
- Registration for the Canadian Father Involvement Conference is now open. Check out the plans for conversations focused on vulnerable fathers and families.
- Earlybird rate of $169 until Dec 31. $199 as of Jan 1/17.
- There is an option for a private tour of the Canadian Museum of Human Rights, too.
- One day left on the 10% discount for all orders through the new Dad Central Ontario resource store. Until Nov 30 we are offering 10% off all orders. Use the code: dadcentral.
Breast-feeding Coparenting Framework: A New Framework to Improve Breast-feeding Duration and Exclusivity. Helpful new research on making breast-feeding decisions a couple affair.
- We are looking for someone to do a scan of the influence of father involvement on the development of children, on the couple relationship, and on fathers themselves. If you are involved in research, are looking for a project as a Masters or Doctorate student, or have an interest in supporting father involvement, please contact us.
- Professional Gatekeeping as we strive to engage fathers. This article gives some ideas for how organizations can be influencing father involvement.
“Psychological and emotional aspects of paternal involvement in children’s early upbringing, particularly how new fathers see themselves as parents and adjust to the role, rather than the quantity of direct involvement in childcare, is associated with positive behavioural outcomes in children.” (find the research study here)
“Parental leave can provoke worries and anxiety related to management and co-worker attitudes which can create concern that they should be back at work.” (find the research here)